Copper pour and a board cutout DRC error

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
fluxanode

Copper pour and a board cutout DRC error

#1 Post by fluxanode » 19 Jul 2017, 09:14

I have a problem. I created a copper pour and a board cutout. I am receiving a DRC error that the copper to board clearance is wrong. The error is “Copper pour – Board outline (Gap 0.01 in; Rule=0.15in) now I can change the rule but I want to know how to set the outline clearance? Is this for the pour or for the cutout? Where can I see the settings? Seems to me there should be a specific setting for this? Or why can't the program see the error an offer to fix it?

-- 19 Jul 2017, 15:15 --

-- 19 Jul 2017, 15:22 --

Attachments
screen capture attached
screen capture attached
Capture.JPG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 456 times

KevinA

Re: Copper pour and a board cutout DRC error

#2 Post by KevinA » 19 Jul 2017, 09:29

I thought I'd seen that 0.01 somewhere; Check Verification/Clearances click 'Net Classes...' in the bottom right corner and you'll find Min. Width at 0.01, is 'Use Clearance in DRC' checked?

-- 19 Jul 2017, 15:10 --

I just dropped a cutout on a PCB and fond the properties of the copper pour/ Border has a 'Border Clearance' number but it does not control the cutout clearance. How do you control the clearance of a cutout?

Seems to me that all the Copper Pour Properties should be on a menu item like Set Copper Pour Properties right above Place Copper Pour that can be adjusted before placing a copper pour.

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 19 Jul 2017, 13:36

Place an empty Route Keepout shape around the cutout on one of the board layers just large enough to push the copper pour back in order to satisfy whatever Board to Copper clearance rule you have specified. After placing the Route Keepout shape, right-click on its outline, choose Properties... in the pop-up menu, enable the [X]All Layers option in the Shape Properties dialog window and select OK.
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (51.68 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 20 Jul 2017, 02:15

You can open "Route->Route Setup" from main menu. There is "Copper to Board Outline" setting there. You can change it to adjust clearance between copper pour and board cutout.

pradipkhare

#5 Post by pradipkhare » 12 Aug 2017, 16:14

Hi,

I have figured out how to mark board cut out (opaque) or also called thermal cut out on the PCB. Hoping it may help others, putting it down with the steps including the images:-

1) Select a shape menu/option -> Choose a Rectangular Shape (mostly you will do that) and place on the board usually in the assembly layer. Please the image "Board Cutout #1".
2) Select the placed shape and open the properties (right click) called Board-Cutout from Type drop down box. Please see the image "Board Cutout #2".

3) Now you can change the shape and dimension or side (doesn't matter) as you want to be. You can also view in the 3D Viewer, as they will appear as opaque - please see the Image "Board Cutout #3".

Thanks.
Pradip
Attachments
Draw a shape and change its property.
Draw a shape and change its property.
Board_Cutout #1.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Shape changes to thermal cut out. You can even copy and paste them
Shape changes to thermal cut out. You can even copy and paste them
Board Cutout #2.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 439 times
See in 3D viewer (in-circled in Red)
See in 3D viewer (in-circled in Red)
Board Cutout #3.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 439 times