Bus from One Page to Another

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
coyttl

Bus from One Page to Another

#1 Post by coyttl » 03 Sep 2017, 04:13

Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a 'professional'.

All I'm trying to do is connect one bus (with 8 nets) to another page.

The bus on the first page ('first' being what I drew out first) has a green connector dot, whohoo. It's not boxed, though, as it's the only bus label/connector on that page.

Go to the second page, create the bus with bus connector. It gets a green dot, and the name is boxed. Double whohoo. Go to connect a net up and... there are no nets! If I enter in the name of a net that exists on the bus on page 1, but then I get a message saying that net exists on another page.

Doing searches, I see references to Hierarchy pages. In the situation above, both pages were 'Normal'. Changing either page to 'Hierarchy Block' will remove the box, but still no nets will be there.

What am I missing? It can't be this difficult or convoluted to run nets/bus to other pages, so I think I'm missing something. :)

Tomg
Expert

Re: Bus from One Page to Another

#2 Post by Tomg » 03 Sep 2017, 09:15

Try right-clicking on the name at the top of the first bus's Bus Connector, then left-click on the bus name displayed at the top of the pop-up menu and enter the desired name. To tie other busses to the first bus, give their Bus Connectors the same name.
Tom

coyttl

#3 Post by coyttl » 03 Sep 2017, 14:48

Thanks for the reply!
Yup, have done that. Gave both busses the name 'Input Bus'. (I actually thought it may have been the space, so at the moment they're called 'Input_Bus', but.. you get the idea.)

A correction to my first post - the first page is actually the second page (first page has no busses on it), and the second page has two busses with the same 'Input_Bus' name - and they are boxed. So, all three bus names have boxes around the names, but the one on the third page has no nets.

I'm also still on v2.4.0.2 - while I have v3 installer, I haven't done so yet. (Worried about losing any files on upgrade, but that's unrelated.)

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 03 Sep 2017, 23:06

It seems to work fine in version 3.1.0.1 even after trying a lot of different naming procedures/sequences to get it to fail. I did notice that it doesn't matter if letters in a Bus Connector's name are upper or lower case. It treats both as the same character.
Tom

coyttl

#5 Post by coyttl » 04 Sep 2017, 05:09

Okay, let me go ahead and run the upgrade, I'll post here if it fixes/doesn't fix the issue. :)

Thanks!
-Mike

-- 04 Sep 2017, 16:35 --

Yup, that seemed to have fixed it.
After upgrading, I had to delete the entire bus & bus callout and redraw it, and once I did that, the nets existed.

Thanks!
Mike