How to add 3D models in BOM ?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
nissebola

How to add 3D models in BOM ?

#1 Post by nissebola » 06 Dec 2017, 04:03

Hi,
Diptrace is turning over to 3d models in step-format instead of wrml (wrl ).
Excellent !
The PCB 3D step export now generate files in much smaller sizes.
And fully readable into 3D mechanic CAD´s.

But is there any way to create a BOM of my old designs including used 3D models ?
Earlier I used wrl models and want to find/change these component patterns to step.

BR/Nissebola
BR/Nissebola

dipicorg

Re: How to add 3D models in BOM ?

#2 Post by dipicorg » 06 Dec 2017, 20:15

Hi
What Sense does this make for You? The "BOM" is just a Table of Parts with Description, nothing more. This may include Partnumbers,
Footprint and Values, no Graphics... Can You tell us (me), for what Reason You need the STEP's in the BOM?

kind regards
Christian

dtu2
Expert

#3 Post by dtu2 » 07 Dec 2017, 04:14

Here's one way you can get a list of your 3D models.

1) Open your project in the PCB Editor
2) Click on: Tools > 3D Preview > Patterns and Models Search
3) In the Pattern and Models Search Options window click on: Search 3D Models.

This will open up the Attached 3D Models window. From there you can resize the window and the columns to see a list of all of your 3D models.
Unfortunately, there is no option to export the list and you can't highlight the columns and copy them to a spreadsheet.
But you could take a screenshot of the list and print it out.

It's not a perfect solution but more of a work-around a limitation. I'm not aware of another way. Maybe someone else knows of a better way to print / export the list?

Jeff
Jeff

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 07 Dec 2017, 05:29

If you are capable of writing a utility program (I am not), or you know someone that can do it for you, another method would involve exporting the Design Cache to an ASCII file and creating a parser that will extract all of the 3D model file names from it. Here, at least, is how to make the Design Cache available as an ASCII formatted file...

PCB Layout Editor - exporting the Design Cache
1) In the Place Component panel on the left side of the screen, click on the Current Library Group selection box and choose Project Libraries.
2) Select/highlight Design Cache in the library list just below the Current Library Group selection box.
3) Click on File in the Main Menu, choose Export in the drop-down menu and select DipTrace ASCII... in the fly-out menu to bring up the Save As dialog window.
4) In the Save As dialog window, choose a convenient desination folder (e.g. Desktop), enter the desired file name and click on the [Save] button.

p.s. If you are okay with doing a manual search for the "wrml" files that are being used, open the newly-created ASCII file in a text editor and search for text strings that contain the *.wrl suffix.

p.p.s. You can also export the Design Cache from the Schematic Editor.
Tom

KevinA

#5 Post by KevinA » 07 Dec 2017, 06:50

While working with git (export to ascii and import) I found my Design cache generally had extra parts from early layout. By deleting the design cache and exporting the PCB to ascii I could get just the files used on the board. To extract the file names you would need to eliminate duplicates since each part on the PCB is listed. I use UltraEdit, Notepad++ works too and is free, writing macros is painless, creating regular expressions, not so much. Seach Model3DFile returns all 3D parts used.

nissebola

#6 Post by nissebola » 18 Dec 2017, 01:42

Thanks Jeff !
Agree it´s not perfect , but needed info is now available for me.

Christian:
Have you tried to export a larger design to step ?
Including old wrl models ?
Then you have the answer - this file will be extremely big and with errors...
BR/Nissebola
BR/Nissebola