Creating multi line text with edit and format control

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
EEnh

Creating multi line text with edit and format control

#1 Post by EEnh » 18 Dec 2011, 08:18

A quick way to create multi line text that is editable and even has format control (left,right, center) is to place a table that is 1x1. Click on the <hide the border> box and the border will not print.

One nice feature is that the enter key even works as a basic carriage return without ending and closing the window. In lots of other CAD packages you need to use ctrl-enter and if you forget, you get to start over again.

Den

electronics-engineer

Re: Creating multi line text with edit and format control

#2 Post by electronics-engineer » 18 Dec 2011, 17:13

EEnh wrote: In lots of other CAD packages you need to use ctrl-enter and if you forget, you get to start over again.
Den
A good multilevel undo really helps in situations like that.

EEnh

#3 Post by EEnh » 22 Dec 2011, 17:16

electronics-engineer wrote: A good multilevel undo really helps in situations like that.
You're absolutely correct ... it saves my hide about once an hour :D

freddy63

#4 Post by freddy63 » 04 Mar 2018, 06:39

I am trying without success to enter some text, but not only on 1 line. I need to be able to write different words on different lines, it means with a carriage return in between of course.
The OP says create a table and then it is possible. If I choose the object "Place table", how can I enter some text in this table? If I select "Place text" after placing this table, then the table is not selected anymore, it is simply a shape on my board which is not editable. And if I click on the table, it opens the dialog window to change the paramaters of the table (table edit mode), but nothing to enter some text. So table and text are not related at all. I cannot find a way to enter the text in any cell (or any table with a single cell, it does not matter).
I would really like to understand how you do exactly. I did not find out but searching the internet.

BTW I'm not on PC but on MAC.

freddy63

#5 Post by freddy63 » 04 Mar 2018, 06:47

OH!!!
I just found out. I had to select the arrow tool once the table was done, not the text tool. I thought I did that first, but doubleclick on the table now works, so all is good.
I won't edit my posts, in case someone has the same issue. We never know.

freddy63

#6 Post by freddy63 » 04 Mar 2018, 07:01

All this for nothing. It cannot change the line spacing, nor it does take empty lines to make the distance between lines bigger. Bummer :(
Lost again 2 hours with this all thing.

The solution I found is to make the text in FrontDesign, export as DXF, import ("add") in Diptrace.
But I had to mirror it in Diptrace before I could put this text on the bottom silk, cause it's not mirrored if imported directly on the bottom silk. Nor it will be if I change the type from Top silk to Bottom silk afterwards.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 04 Mar 2018, 09:02

Enter a single space as a place holder on the "blank" line to keep DipTrace from deleting it. After that, you can change sides by double-clicking on the "hidden" table border to bring up the Table Properties dialog window.
Last edited by Tomg on 18 Mar 2018, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

agareau

#8 Post by agareau » 18 Mar 2018, 01:49

I have been looking, but haven't found anything either. Am I correct in assuming that there are no multi-key strokes for using the arrow keys and that there is no way to edit text that was previously entered ???
Thanks, Andre

farley

#9 Post by farley » 18 Mar 2018, 08:00

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to when you state "there are no multi-key strokes for using the arrow keys" so I may not be answering the right question.

Text in a table cell can be edited by clicking once in the cell then once in the text box in the window that opens:
cell_properties.jpg
cell_properties.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The arrow keys can be used to move around the text box to edit the text.

Single line text (in DipTrace 3.2.0.1) can be edited by double clicking the text. In earlier versions of DipTrace, right click on the text and select the text in the context menu that appears.