Same Pattern three times

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
KevinA

Same Pattern three times

#1 Post by KevinA » 28 Apr 2018, 16:14

I created a component and broke the 98 pin device into three parts: Power & Ground, N0/Connect pins and working pins. I can place this component on a schematic sheet and make a PCB with only one 98 pin pattern showing on the PCB. But while drawing the schematic I added two sheets, one for power and one for NC parts then moved the Power and NC parts of the component to those sheets. After working all day I had mostly completed the schematic so I told DT to create a PCB, it did, with three 98 pin patterns ... I cut and pasted the two parts back to the main schematic and deleted the other two sheets but I appear to be stuck with three patterns.
What did I do wrong?
I did create a new schematic and place the 98 pin three part device and everything is fine until I add a sheet and move a part of the device to the new sheet then I get multiple patterns when creating a PCB.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Same Pattern three times

#2 Post by Tomg » 28 Apr 2018, 23:32

Don't cut and paste because that will increment the primary reference designator on the pasted part (e.g. U1.2 --> U2.2), creating another instance of the component. You can fix the problem by changing the primary reference designator of the pasted part back to its original primary reference designator, but that makes the process unnecessarily complicated. Instead, the proper way to do this is to right-click on the part(s) you want to move and select Change Sheet... in the pop-up menu. A Change Sheet of Objects dialog window will appear where you can choose the destination sheet for the part(s).
Tom

KevinA

Re: Same Pattern three times

#3 Post by KevinA » 29 Apr 2018, 03:28

"select Change Sheet" It was so simple I missed it! Renamed the two sections THEN did it the right way, Thanks again Tomg