Make rounded rectangle shape (do nets make it into gerber?)

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
tinker1

Make rounded rectangle shape (do nets make it into gerber?)

#1 Post by tinker1 » 21 Jul 2010, 06:34

Do the nets make it into the gerber files?? Or would the top copper layer just represent places of copper vs no copper to the board house?

In particular, I want to make a thin rounded-corner rectangle shape in the top copper layer to represent my board outline (the way the board maker likes it). I figure I can make this with four arcs and four straight lines. Alternatively, I could make this with a big polyline, but that would be very tedious if I want smooth corners.

Looking thru a gerber file, I don't recognize net names. So I am hoping that I could make my shape out of 8 pieces and have it equivalent to a single shape.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Make rounded rectangle shape (do nets make it into gerbe

#2 Post by Alex » 21 Jul 2010, 20:11

I didn't understand how net names concern to Gerber files.
If you want to export top copper layer and board outline together, just select two these layers simultaneously on export Gerber dialog window and export them to single file.

bobbfwed

#3 Post by bobbfwed » 30 Jul 2010, 11:01

I have the same question, but maybe for a different reason.
My fabrication company does electrical tests on the boards before they go to assembly. They claim they do it off the nets in the gerber files, but if there are no nets in the gerber files, what are the basing the connections on?

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 30 Jul 2010, 21:36

There is not information about nets in Gerber files. Probably PCB manufacturers use advanced CAM software, that allows to import netlist (or ASCII data) together with Gerber files and analize connections.

STUDZINSKI

Re: Make rounded rectangle shape (do nets make it into gerber?)

#5 Post by STUDZINSKI » 11 May 2021, 02:13

I still do not know how to make a rounded rectangle shape.
The only way I have founded is to create "rounded rectangle" board outline in a "virtual" project, then convert to shape and copy to the right project.
Is there a simpler way to do this?

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 12 May 2021, 01:00

The following example shows how the upper-right corner of the Board Outline can be precisely rounded to a radius of 3mm...

1) Make sure the grid is on and set to a spacing of 1mm. This is a convenient grid interval for this particular example.
2) Move the Design Area origin to the target corner of the Board Outline (select View > Define Origin > By Mouse Pointer and click on the corner), then return to the Default Mode by either right-clicking in a blank space of the Design Area or pressing the [Esc] key.
3) Right-click on the Board Outline 3mm away from the corner and select "Insert Point", then use the same method to insert a second point 3mm in the other direction.
4) Right-click on the original corner point and select "Arc" in the context menu...
34b.png
34b.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 614 times
5) Right-click on the newly-created arc and select "Board Points..." in the context menu to bring up the Board dialog window.
6) In the Points list of the Board dialog window select/highlight the related Arc line ("Arc R=..."), set R: to a value of "3mm" and click on "OK"...
6.png
6.png (14.14 KiB) Viewed 632 times
7) Repeat steps 2 through 6 for other corners.
8) Return the Design Area origin to the desired location, then go back to the Default Mode.
Yes, this is somewhat tedious to do, but it is more accurate than the free-hand method.
Tom

STUDZINSKI

#7 Post by STUDZINSKI » 13 May 2021, 04:07

Of course. This is exactly the way I have told about. But how to do this on a standard shape (rectangle or polygon)? All I can do is to "cut" corners...

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 13 May 2021, 05:49

I see. Other than your method, or importing a DXF drawing, no such DipTrace solution exists as of v4.1.2.0. Using DipTrace lingo, a "Roundover" tool needs to be added. Of course, in standard CAD programs there would be "Chamfer" and "Fillet" tools available to do the same job. Unfortunately, this is not a new request - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10835&p=19524. I and others asked for an easy solution to this problem with the Board Outline. Having "Chamfer" and "Fillet" tools available for other drawing figures would be helpful.
Tom

STUDZINSKI

#9 Post by STUDZINSKI » 14 May 2021, 03:51

Thank you Tom for "investigating" for me...
However, fortunately, this kind of tool already exists in Diptrace. Eg., in boardline definition (board points). It will by fine if somebody "implements" this tool into general shape composition tool :-)
The rounded corners are important for cut-outs in PCB. They are obligatory for certain milling tools...
Cordially yours
André