Creating a SMD Pad with Hole In The Middle

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
jahmaiturner

Creating a SMD Pad with Hole In The Middle

#1 Post by jahmaiturner » 09 Aug 2019, 07:25

Hello,

I am trying to create a more-or-less unconventional pattern to be used as a part. Essentially, on the top side, I would like for it to be an exposed copper pour (ie no solder mask and probably no solder paste). It will be used as a touch sensor. On the bottom side, inside of this circle, I would like to have two to four pads for mounting a LED. Conceptually, it looks like the pictures labeled "pad with hole in the middle -- bottom.PNG" and "pad with hole in the middle -- top.PNG"

I've tried two things:
1) Used a SMD pad to make the top copper. The problem with this is that in layout, DRC errors are generated because of the hole in the SMD pad. Of course, changing or ignoring the rules would work, but ideally, I would like to by default have the ability to run DRC without any errors.

2) Use an ellipse, and place on the top layer. The problem with this is that you cannot associate a ("pin") to the ellipse on the top layer.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Please let me know if it is unclear.
Attachments
pad with hole in the middle -- bottom.PNG
pad with hole in the middle -- bottom.PNG (14.97 KiB) Viewed 300 times
pad with hole in the middle -- top.PNG
pad with hole in the middle -- top.PNG (13.73 KiB) Viewed 300 times

Arson

Re: Creating a SMD Pad with Hole In The Middle

#2 Post by Arson » 11 Aug 2019, 22:03

Try to make two different components and combine them manually in the psb designer.
Sometimes a little brain damage can help.