DipTrace 3.3 Release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
KevinA

Re: DipTrace 3.3 Release

#81 Post by KevinA » 29 Aug 2019, 06:00

novarm44 wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 11:24
I also find 6 month a little bit much, with basically not any words at all of any improvements or so.
We are preparing version 4.0
Some of already included improvements (not all):
1. Multiline text
2. Roundrect and D-shape pads
3. Free rotation angle of pads, components, text - without changing component pads/shapes like in 3.3 and before
4. Improved picture vectorizing, saving vectorized pictures (logos, etc) directly to dip file, true type texts also look better.
5. Courtyard, component outline, terminal layers + wizards to build and edit these layers
6. Layer panel similar to pcb in Pattern Editor
7. New pattern marking system (unlimited number of markings, custom font for the component, free angle rotation).
8. IPC-7351 pattern generator, all pattern libraries are now in process of redesign. All last few years component libraries are designed for IPC-7351 and not included in 3.3
9. New shape creation and editing system (arc can be placed in 3 ways with center, radius, end-points, etc), all dimensions are visible while creation/editing.
10. Snap to other object key points while creating/editing shapes.
11. Fiducial object.
12. Measure tool with snap to key points in Schematic/Component Editor too.
13. Automatic build of 3d models by IPC-7351 component type or by component outline.
14. Obround shapes instead of ellipses.
15. Automatic silk remove from pads in Pattern Editor, in PCB not done yet, but we will consider including it there also.
16. Pad shape shift (from hole/pad center).
17. Groups in component and pattern editor (like in PCB and Schematic), logical layers feature have been removed.
etc.

It still requires many tests and some features were not completed in all modules
Theses are great, any word on PAD STACKS?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#82 Post by novarm44 » 29 Aug 2019, 08:56

Theses are great, any word on PAD STACKS?
Do you mean different pad shape/size in different signal layers?
Not yet.

Also forgot to mention:
18. Segmented paste mask and solder mask by paste mask (segmented also possible).
19. Solder mask and paste mask of pads are now visible in design area when appropriate layers are checked on layers grid.

DerekG

#83 Post by DerekG » 29 Aug 2019, 12:05

That would be excellent. I hope the simulation software is good & easy to use - I don't know anything about it.

It is indeed free since 07/04/2019

Their home page for more information is:

http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

FDA

#84 Post by FDA » 06 Sep 2019, 22:18

novarm44 wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 11:24
I also find 6 month a little bit much, with basically not any words at all of any improvements or so.
We are preparing version 4.0
Some of already included improvements (not all):
1. Multiline text
2. Roundrect and D-shape pads
3. Free rotation angle of pads, components, text - without changing component pads/shapes like in 3.3 and before
4. Improved picture vectorizing, saving vectorized pictures (logos, etc) directly to dip file, true type texts also look better.
5. Courtyard, component outline, terminal layers + wizards to build and edit these layers
6. Layer panel similar to pcb in Pattern Editor
7. New pattern marking system (unlimited number of markings, custom font for the component, free angle rotation).
8. IPC-7351 pattern generator, all pattern libraries are now in process of redesign. All last few years component libraries are designed for IPC-7351 and not included in 3.3
9. New shape creation and editing system (arc can be placed in 3 ways with center, radius, end-points, etc), all dimensions are visible while creation/editing.
10. Snap to other object key points while creating/editing shapes.
11. Fiducial object.
12. Measure tool with snap to key points in Schematic/Component Editor too.
13. Automatic build of 3d models by IPC-7351 component type or by component outline.
14. Obround shapes instead of ellipses.
15. Automatic silk remove from pads in Pattern Editor, in PCB not done yet, but we will consider including it there also.
16. Pad shape shift (from hole/pad center).
17. Groups in component and pattern editor (like in PCB and Schematic), logical layers feature have been removed.
etc.

It still requires many tests and some features were not completed in all modules
When is version 4 expected to be released?

b_force

#85 Post by b_force » 07 Sep 2019, 23:29

Anything about teardrops?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#86 Post by novarm44 » 10 Sep 2019, 03:18

Anything about teardrops?
Maybe: We made IPC-7351 compatibility, it required redesign of some features, which require redesign of others and so on. We decided not to make "work-arounds" and to redesign/make all necessary long-waited things to make further development easier and faster. As a result we have the list of features above. Teardrops are not in this list as IPC-7351 doesn't require them, however this is one of separate priority long-waited features. The list above also requires upgrade/redesign and test of all import/export features and that is made by other programmers (currently also in process as 3 modules are already completed by me, the last one in process), so if I have time before release, I will add teardrops as well.
When is version 4 expected to be released?
We plan it to the late autumn, but I'm not sure we will be able to complete and test all on-time. Probably release a few beta-versions before 4.0

fi2eewill

#87 Post by fi2eewill » 11 Sep 2019, 15:17

Hi,

Some good progress, looking forward to release 4.0!

off the top of my head,

1) do you have anything planned for components and parts management?
2) can you confirm if RefDes free rotation is now possible in PCB?
3) PCB: is it possible to add stitching vias automatically
4) Schematic print PDF with hyperlinks for net names,
also, would be nice to have Page number next to Net names very helpful in multi sheets design
5) Schematic: is there a way to define font type / size for pins,
6) component editor, is it possible to change shape color - unless i missed it, the shape background is always Grey.
7) is it possible to change shape outline property, i.e. solid, dashed line, dotted line... etc...

cheers,
fi2eewill

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#88 Post by novarm44 » 12 Sep 2019, 11:11

1) do you have anything planned for components and parts management?
What management features do you need?
2) can you confirm if RefDes free rotation is now possible in PCB?
yes
3) PCB: is it possible to add stitching vias automatically
not yet
4) Schematic print PDF with hyperlinks for net names,
also, would be nice to have Page number next to Net names very helpful in multi sheets design
We do not have integrated export PDF feature and use PDF printers for PDF.
To make this we should code entire Export PDF feature first (probably use of some OEM plugin is possible), but not yet.
5) Schematic: is there a way to define font type / size for pins,
already exists in current version (View/Pin numbers, right click on pin / Pin Properties / Font of Name).
6) component editor, is it possible to change shape color - unless i missed it, the shape background is always Grey.
7) is it possible to change shape outline property, i.e. solid, dashed line, dotted line... etc...
not possible yet

fi2eewill

#89 Post by fi2eewill » 13 Sep 2019, 04:27

Hi Novarm,

Thank you for the prompt response!

#5) I am still running 3.3.10 - I must have missed the latest release. Thanks for confirming! I will remember to update :)

Parts Management:

I was looking for a simple way to link an external database (could be a simple spreadsheet) with Part info to Diptrace.
This database is externally maintained with whatever field one wishes to have, and in the future if a new field is added it's a simple column addition.

From DipTrace point of view, there are 3 main fields that need to be defined for a Component, i.e. ("Name"), ("Symbol") and associated PCB pattern ("Footprint"). For example suppose we have a 10k 0805 Resistor

The "Name" field indicates the part Name as it appears in DipTrace component library. This would follow the adopted naming convention
let's assume it's RES_10k0_0805

The "Symbol" field indicate the part absolute library path including the Name
C:\CAD_Library\Discrete_symbols.eli\RES_SMD

The "Footprint" field indicate the part absolute library path including Name, for example
C:\CAD_Library\Discrete_footprints.lib\R0805

Now, new parts can be created, added or duplicated in the spreadsheet by adding rows and filling the appropriate Symbol/Footprint fields
for example, suppose I have a new part 4.7k 0402 resistor

I would simply create a new row in the Part spreadsheet and populate the fields as follow

("Name") RES_4k7_0402
("Symbol") C:\CAD_Library\Discrete_symbols.eli\RES_SMD
("Footprint") C:\CAD_Library\Discrete_footprints.lib\R0402

DipTrace should be able to "see" the new part and link the appropriate symbol/footprint.
Of course, RES_SMD and R0402 had to be created the first time, but now future parts can simply point to the correct symbol/footprint

The idea is that library symbols / footprints are maintained in DipTrace. Part creation is maintained externally in the database, new fields can always be added seamlessly.

+++ Additional feature request
Is it possible to display Net Names for multiple wires or maybe have a short cut that does so for selected nets.
Currently, it's Right click -> Display Name -> select net name -> resize font -> position

it would be a huge time saver if I could set a default Net Name font type / size and position (above, below, to the right, to the left) and maybe just a shortcut to Display Name

Hopefully this is not too much to ask for :)

Cheers
fi2eewill

Ford Prefect

#90 Post by Ford Prefect » 15 Sep 2019, 04:15

In addition to the great extras in version 4.0....
Would it be possible to include a Window drop-down menu item as I mentioned on 27 Nov. 2018?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12618
Also add the feature of adding Chamfer T Junctions as mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8936&p=13405
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12662
As I am thinking that these features would be very useful.