Renewing frm schematic problems

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
fluxanode

Renewing frm schematic problems

#1 Post by fluxanode » 11 Oct 2019, 10:59

I have a pcb layout with mounting holes. When I renew from the schematic (file, renew from schematic) my mounting holes are blown away. I tried to find some way to lock them but there is not a lock option on the right click menu for the mount holes. Do the mounting holes have to be somehow put in the schematic? Why can't the holes be locked? I want them locked anyway so I don't lose the spacing accidentally.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Renewing frm schematic problems

#2 Post by Tomg » 12 Oct 2019, 05:07

Using DipTrace version 3.3.1.3, I tried to duplicate the problem you described by placing a mounting hole on an existing PCB and then running Renew Layout from Schematic (By Components...). The mounting hole remained as placed. I'll try different settings to see what happens and let you know if the problem appears.

Update: The only way to duplicate the problem is by grouping the mounting holes into a component. Are you placing mounting holes using the PCB Layout "Place Mounting Hole" tool, or are you pulling them out of a component library? If they are pulled from a component library, they'll be deleted because they don't exist on the schematic. If they are standard mounting holes created by the PCB Layout "Place Mounting Hole" tool, they should remain in place.
Tom

fluxanode

#3 Post by fluxanode » 12 Oct 2019, 06:59

I used mounting holes not a component. I am updating an existing design by first changing the schematic then trying to update the PCB using renew from the schematic. It for some reason does not like the holes. I tried all of the renew options and same results. I guess I will need to pot the holes back in after doing the renew?

fluxanode

#4 Post by fluxanode » 12 Oct 2019, 07:11

Update: Correction - It's not a mount hole, i used a pad because i need a plated exposed ring like a through hole to connect traces for earth gnd on the board and the screws provide the earth grounding to the enclosure. Is there a way to make a plated through mounting hole with a copper ring? Still why would it clear out a inserted pad hole?

BTW - thanks for your help!

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 12 Oct 2019, 11:46

Using the PCB Layout editor's Place Pad tool should work (it does for me) because the PCB Layout-created pad is not a component. If the pad is a component, such as being pulled from a component library, it will be erased by the Renew Layout from Schematic tool if it does not exist in the schematic. If it has a visible reference designator, that suggests it is a component.

The way I handle a plated-through mounting hole is to make it out of a through-hole pad in the Pattern Editor. (Just make sure the pattern is made up of at least two objects such as the pad and, for example, a tiny dot in the center of the pad on a non-signal layer; otherwise it won't be seen as a potential component by DipTrace. In my case, I use the Top Mask layer for the tiny dot, but I'm sure the Top Silk or any other non-signal layer will work, too.) I then attach the new pattern to a 1-pin custom component. Once the component has been created, I can place it on the schematic so that it will show up on the PCB...
mh_ce.gif
mh_ce.gif (12.51 KiB) Viewed 459 times
mh_sch.gif
mh_sch.gif (12.98 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Tom

fluxanode

#6 Post by fluxanode » 14 Oct 2019, 09:59

Thanks again, I'll do it the way you suggest.

RushPCB.Com

#7 Post by RushPCB.Com » 10 Nov 2019, 09:27

There is no doubt that schematic creation and PCB layout are fundamental aspects of electrical engineering, and it makes sense that resources such as technical articles, app notes, and textbooks tend to focus on these portions of the design process. We shouldn’t forget, though, that schematics and layouts aren’t very useful if you don’t know how to turn your finished design files into an assembled circuit board. Even if you’re somewhat familiar with ordering and assembling PCBs, you might not be aware of some options that could help you to achieve adequate results at lower cost.
Rush PCB | Rush PCB UK
Rush Pcb is the #1 pcb manufacturer.