Sockets and BOM?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
amshh

Sockets and BOM?

#1 Post by amshh » 19 Nov 2019, 23:00

Hello!
I have a part (ESP8266-12 in this particular case) that I place on a THT socket in nearly all cases rather than soldering it as SMD.
In the schematic I include the ESP, not the socket. The ESP HAS THT holes in his Pads so the Footprint has these holes as well ....
and everything is all right so far and the socket must not be there to get a correct PCB design for ESP+socket.
But sometimes yes:
I have a stacked sandwich system now and it is of importance, that this ESP is not lieing flat on the PCB but in reality is hovering
4.3mm above in his socket. I cannot see this in the 3D preview AND what comes next, I do not have the socket in the BOM.

What I did until now:
In the pattern definition and there at the "3D Model" defnition I added 4,3mm in the Z-Shift. That shows me a hovering ESP and
I can see if there are obstacles. Not nice but sufficient .....

In a next step I added two rails of 8-pin headers in the schematic as the ESP socket. They than appear in the BOM. Yeah!
I placed them in the layout directly pad-over-pad with the ESP. In the 3D preview I than have a nice ESP-on-socket view.
But I get lots of pad rule violations in DRC due to the stacked ESP and socket pads.

I can live with it.
But my question is:
How do the professional users solve that? See a socketed part in 3D preview, have everything in BOM and do not get DRC errors?

Best regards!
A.

amshh

Re: Sockets and BOM?

#2 Post by amshh » 20 Nov 2019, 03:25

I found another example....
On a power supply PCB I have a fuse in a fuse holder. I inserted the component/pattern "fuse holder" but not the fuse.
If I give it away to someone who wants to replicate the PCB and he provides the BOM parts only (yes, its a little bit unrealistic),
than at the end of the day he won't have any fuse in his hands .... (and on the PCB)

I know, I could extend the BOM by hand, its a normal table. But than I have to do it again and again after each update. Or
I have to create a second >>manual<< BOM.

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 21 Nov 2019, 02:27

You can design custom 3D model that consists of socket and installed part together.
In regards to BOM, you can add a note to value or additional field in component properties that specific socket requires one more part. When you export BOM you will see the note in the row with the socket (don't forget to add value or additional field to BOM table).

amshh

#4 Post by amshh » 21 Nov 2019, 22:18

Hello Alex,
thanks.
"You can design custom 3D..."
Yes, I can if I could .... 3D modelling is a completely new area for me. But maybe I must ...
A.