DipTrace 4.0 Release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
0xdeadbeef

Re: DipTrace 4.0 Release

#31 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 27 May 2020, 23:18

Thanks!

rick.curl
Expert

#32 Post by rick.curl » 28 May 2020, 00:36

I've got a question about the new libraries in 4.0. I've created several libraries in 3.x that contain components that are using patterns from the standard libraries. If I install the new libraries and uninstall the old ones these components in my libraries will be broken. Also, it appears that If I have an old design and I update it after installing the new libraries (and uninstalling the old ones), I will encounter a lot of missing components. If I leave both libraries installed, there will be lots of duplication.

What is the best way to address this?

Thanks.

-Rick

MarkF

#33 Post by MarkF » 28 May 2020, 00:55

novarm44 wrote: 27 May 2020, 22:51 I have fixed issues with printing, saving BMP + added PNG.
Also have changed export all options to place all into the same folder and export Plated and Non-Plated holes into the same file (is set by default), separate folders and plated/non-plated files are available as options in Gerber / Files.
Now we test all these and will make update in a few days.
Big thanks!

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#34 Post by novarm44 » 28 May 2020, 02:34

rick.curl wrote: 28 May 2020, 00:36 I've got a question about the new libraries in 4.0. I've created several libraries in 3.x that contain components that are using patterns from the standard libraries. If I install the new libraries and uninstall the old ones these components in my libraries will be broken. Also, it appears that If I have an old design and I update it after installing the new libraries (and uninstalling the old ones), I will encounter a lot of missing components. If I leave both libraries installed, there will be lots of duplication.

What is the best way to address this?

Thanks.

-Rick
Components in your libraries will not be broken - component libraries include full component patterns info, so uninstalling old pattern libraries will not change your components.

If you used components from old standard libraries and didn't change standard libraries, so update for them should not be necessary. However if you make changes to old standard libraries and update design from them, so please store old standard libraries into the separate folder and update design from it or install version 4 to a different folder. Also I would recommend to copy component from standard libraries to your own if you plan to change it.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#35 Post by novarm44 » 28 May 2020, 07:51

novarm44 wrote: 27 May 2020, 22:51 I have fixed issues with printing, saving BMP + added PNG.
Also have changed export all options to place all into the same folder and export Plated and Non-Plated holes into the same file (is set by default), separate folders and plated/non-plated files are available as options in Gerber / Files.
Now we test all these and will make update in a few days.
Done! https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/

MarkF

#36 Post by MarkF » 29 May 2020, 06:44

I have been playing around with the changes in v4.0.0.2 and the "print preview" is much better. Thanks for the PNG save option.

I hate to complain. But:

I'm having trouble with a "black" background in the Schematic editor and wanting "black" text for printing on "white" background on paper?
If you set the text to "black" for printing, you can't see it in the editor.
It appears that using a "white" background in the editor is the only option.

It's a little weird that text color selection is just the basic drop-down list in some places vs the entire RGB selector at other places.

The BIG issue is that the OpenGL and DirectX drawing modes for the Schematic editor are NOW horrible!
Wire width drawing varies all over the circuit and varies with zoom levels. Even making the default wire width larger doesn't help.
The font varies as well. This was all very smooth in version 3.
"Windows GDI" graphics mode seems usable.

15" Laptop with Windows 7 & 1920x1080 resolution.

gunrunnerjohn

#37 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 29 May 2020, 06:50

MarkF wrote: 29 May 2020, 06:44 I hate to complain. But:
I'm guessing they want to see any glitches that user's are seeing, so I'd think the complaints are welcome if they're justified. Better to fix stuff like this as soon as possible in the release cycle.

MarkF

#38 Post by MarkF » 29 May 2020, 07:28

gunrunnerjohn wrote: 29 May 2020, 06:50
MarkF wrote: 29 May 2020, 06:44 I hate to complain. But:
I'm guessing they want to see any glitches that user's are seeing, so I'd think the complaints are welcome if they're justified. Better to fix stuff like this as soon as possible in the release cycle.
The Schematic Editor graphics in version 4 appears to be a step backward from version 3.
And I don't remember the inconsistencies in selecting text color (example: text Creation vs Edit).

Wondering if they switched to using "Qt" for their cross-platform graphics...
Complete rewrite?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#39 Post by novarm44 » 29 May 2020, 07:57

MarkF wrote: 29 May 2020, 07:28 The Schematic Editor graphics in version 4 appears to be a step backward from version 3.
And I don't remember the inconsistencies in selecting text color (example: text Creation vs Edit).

Wondering if they switched to using "Qt" for their cross-platform graphics...
Complete rewrite?
Didn't change anything with graphics and drawing in 4.0 if compare to 3.3, also played around with different schematics and tried to make a new one (small) on my PCs - all seems to work smoothly in both Direct3D and Open GL. Could you please provide picture how glitches look like?

p.s. Complains and reports are welcome - we would like to polish it as much as possible

Dave8266

#40 Post by Dave8266 » 29 May 2020, 08:14

Looks like the download filenames are still the same?

Not sure if you saw my message on the prior page, but it would be really helpful to us users if the new download filenames could indicate the version number, like the way the old versions did... "DipTrace3313.dmg", "DipTrace_24.dmg", etc.

Thanks!