Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Message
Author
mbelectronicdesign
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Oct 2014, 08:56

Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#1 Post by mbelectronicdesign » 10 Jan 2022, 12:41

I've held off doing the upgrade and I am currently still running on a full 3.3 license. I am considering the upgrade so a couple of quick questions:

1. How far off is vn 5.0 and, if it's close should I hold off doing the upgrade? I don't want to pay 25% and then another 25% in a few months.
2. What happens to all my custom components and footprints in vn 3.3 if I upgrade to 4.2? I have a lot of time and effort invested in custom footprints, 3D models etc and I don't want to lose them.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Serg
Technical Support
Posts: 507
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 08:12

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#2 Post by Serg » 11 Jan 2022, 05:19

mbelectronicdesign wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 12:41
1. How far off is vn 5.0 and, if it's close should I hold off doing the upgrade? I don't want to pay 25% and then another 25% in a few months.
The release time of 5.X version is unknown yet.
Upgrade to 5.X is free for all customers, who ordered previous version last half of year before 5.X.
mbelectronicdesign wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 12:41
2. What happens to all my custom components and footprints in vn 3.3 if I upgrade to 4.2? I have a lot of time and effort invested in custom footprints, 3D models etc and I don't want to lose them.
All custom libraries and 3D models will be kept.

Edgaras006
Posts: 10
Joined: 21 Apr 2018, 00:05

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#3 Post by Edgaras006 » 11 Jan 2022, 05:59

If you are happy with v3, I would say stick with it. At least for me (win 7 x64 user), is less stable, while v3 was rock solid. For me v4 made an improvement and I would not want go back. I am working on more and more complex designs and v4 has few features, like dill with offset from the center of the pad, however if you were on V3 so long and are happy about it - there is no reason to move. I had few which made sense. Instability (PCB layout freezes from time to time) was unexpected addition. It happens not that often, so I can live with it.

mbelectronicdesign
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Oct 2014, 08:56

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#4 Post by mbelectronicdesign » 11 Jan 2022, 16:24

Thanks for the info. I have a full license but have retired so the business has no income for 2022 so I can't justify the extra money. I will take Edgar's advice and stick with the very stable v3.

novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 428
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#5 Post by novarm44 » 11 Jan 2022, 17:20

Edgaras006 wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 05:59
If you are happy with v3, I would say stick with it. At least for me (win 7 x64 user), is less stable, while v3 was rock solid. For me v4 made an improvement and I would not want go back. I am working on more and more complex designs and v4 has few features, like dill with offset from the center of the pad, however if you were on V3 so long and are happy about it - there is no reason to move. I had few which made sense. Instability (PCB layout freezes from time to time) was unexpected addition. It happens not that often, so I can live with it.
Please let us know when you experience freezes. If we will be able to reproduce it on our side - it will be definitely fixed.

4.2 has many interesting features if compare to 3.3 (you can see what's new list for details). We plan to release at least one more big upgrade for 4.x (4.3), then will start working on 5.0. So I suppose release time of 5.0 is between 1 and 2 years ahead and of course all orders/upgrades within 6 months before release will be subject for free upgrade (same reg key will work for both versions).

Edgaras006
Posts: 10
Joined: 21 Apr 2018, 00:05

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#6 Post by Edgaras006 » 13 Jan 2022, 04:37

novaram44>> I could send you the project. Is there a way to do that privately? I can not share commercial project files publicly. I do not know reasons, but it sometimes just freezes. I do not experience this on small projects.

novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 428
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#7 Post by novarm44 » 13 Jan 2022, 17:06

Edgaras006 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 04:37
novaram44>> I could send you the project. Is there a way to do that privately? I can not share commercial project files publicly. I do not know reasons, but it sometimes just freezes. I do not experience this on small projects.
Of course there is a way - we can sign NDA first if necessary. You can submit private message with the file to this forum or send it to customer support (submit ticket with the file or send email): https://diptrace.com/company/contact-us/

Edgaras006
Posts: 10
Joined: 21 Apr 2018, 00:05

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#8 Post by Edgaras006 » 14 Jan 2022, 00:35

I have sent an issue description and the file to the support.

mbelectronicdesign
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Oct 2014, 08:56

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#9 Post by mbelectronicdesign » 15 Jan 2022, 12:27

It's good to see a company that actually tries to understand the issues their customers are having.

Watching with interest.

Ted

novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 428
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: Upgrading v3.3 to 4.2

#10 Post by novarm44 » 17 Jan 2022, 17:59

Edgaras006 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 00:35
I have sent an issue description and the file to the support.
We were able to reproduce the issue with your file. However it happens approx once in 2-3 hours of active work and generates random CPU exception (does not show line of code or even feature where it happens). I have some ideas how to find the reason of problem, so we will try to do that.

Post Reply