1 minute periodic FREEZE -- provide options PLEASE!

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
ReverseEMF

1 minute periodic FREEZE -- provide options PLEASE!

#1 Post by ReverseEMF » 27 Mar 2016, 11:51

I'm assuming the one minute periodic program freeze [toolbar goes blank for a second or five, then the whole app redraws!] is an auto save [which happens, it seems, even when there are no changes to save!]. If so, please provide the following options:

1. To extend the auto-save period. Like every 15 minutes to every hour, etc.
2. To turn auto-save off [I really don't need it, I, by habit, I save after every little change I make -- I was trained by a past PC that would Blue Screen two or ten times a day ;) ]

The 1 minute freezes are EXTREMELY annoying!!
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: 1 minute periodic FREEZE -- provide options PLEASE!

#2 Post by novarm44 » 28 Mar 2016, 08:02

If it happens if there is no changes - this is not auto-save. Auto-save works every 10-15 editing steps (or how you configure it) and if you don't edit, it doesn't save anything. Looks like some quirks of OS/configuation/software, probably some Win 10 processes or monitors, maybe anti-virus.

There is no such effect on our office machines (Win 10 is on test configuration only, we do not use it for work yet, because of its issues). At home I'm working on Win 8.1 and Win 7, also installed Win 10 for test on the laptop I rarely use, so will try to work extensively on it (fortunately when discovered Win 10 quirks, recovery option was already unavailable and it is still there).

ReverseEMF

#3 Post by ReverseEMF » 31 Mar 2016, 23:24

I learned about Recovery Options from another post. When I turned this off, the "freezes" happen FAR less often. Strangely, they do still occur, but it isn't nearly as annoying.

-- 02 Apr 2016, 13:25 --

I "spoke" to soon. The Freezes are still happening at the one minute rate, no matter what Recovery Option I try. I tried unchecking the "Enable Recovery" box -- still periodic freezes. I tried setting the "Autosave Steps" to a high number -- still periodic freezes.

This is SO ANNOYING it's pushing me to look for an alternative CAD offering [e.g. AutoTRAX or KiCad or ???]!!!

This started happening when I upgraded to Version 3.0. I don't remember what version I was using, before, but this WASN'T happening!
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?

gmutch

#4 Post by gmutch » 23 May 2016, 01:12

I'm having the same issue, however its more like every 5 minutes for me. DipTrace 3 freezes for around 5 seconds and is unresponsive, then come right again.

MDman

#5 Post by MDman » 23 May 2016, 23:45

Open up task manager and go to the performance tab. Open up resource monitor.
Open it up full screen and in the processes section select the cpu column to you can see which program is using the most cpu time.
And in the services section also select cpu.

Just make sure that when the freezes are happening, there is not some other process or service hogging the system resources.

Also, check that you have sufficient free ram and are not running in virtual memory.

calvinjarrod

#6 Post by calvinjarrod » 20 Jul 2021, 05:01

I think the issue deals with the computer processor. My laptop with an AMD chip has the freezing issues, but my desktop with an Intel chip does not.

KevinA

#7 Post by KevinA » 21 Jul 2021, 06:34

Make sure your not dealing with a disk wake-up issue, my USB 12TB sled drive goes to sleep to save power, takes a few seconds to wake-up, if your on a portable with a HD not SSD check you power setting.

ohkyo0831

#8 Post by ohkyo0831 » 25 Jan 2022, 08:49

Hello, Is this issue still not resolved?
I have the same problem on my PC with DipTrace 4.2.
Freezing occurs for 1 minute at approximately 10 minute intervals.
When freezing occurs, I looked my resource monitor, the CPU usage increases rapidly
and 'pcb.exe' and s'chematic.exe' become 'not responding'.
It looks memory is sufficient and didn't accessing the disk in the meantime.
This symptom did not exist in DipTrace version 2.4.
(I haven't tried 3.0)
Deleting the app and reinstalling it doesn't solve it.
I'm really going crazy with this stress. :evil:
Anyone, Help me.

Win10 64bit / i7-7700 / 32GB / SSD-500GB
Attachments
freezing_summary.png
freezing_summary.png (66.38 KiB) Viewed 987 times
freezing_memory.png
freezing_memory.png (40.02 KiB) Viewed 987 times
freezing_cpu.png
freezing_cpu.png (42.45 KiB) Viewed 987 times

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 26 Jan 2022, 02:08

We fixed the problem in source codes.
You can change graphics mode from OpenGL to DirectX to avoid the problem until we release the next update.

ohkyo0831

#10 Post by ohkyo0831 » 26 Jan 2022, 14:31

Thank you for your fast reply, Alex.
I'll try and give you feedback on the results.