ratline mess...what am I doing wrong?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
tracecom

ratline mess...what am I doing wrong?

#1 Post by tracecom » 29 Nov 2022, 08:29

I am trying to lay out a PCB with some through hole components and many SMD components. As you can see in the attached printouts, I have a mess of ratlines. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it? Thanks.
Attachments
ratline mess back side.png
ratline mess back side.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 371 times
ratline mess.png
ratline mess.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 373 times

tracecom

Re: ratline mess...what am I doing wrong?

#2 Post by tracecom » 29 Nov 2022, 09:15

Further investigation indicates that the problem is the ratlines show up on both sides of the PCB for all components whether the components are on the top or the bottom of the board. Surely that can't be right???

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 29 Nov 2022, 11:01

...I have a mess of ratlines. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?...
That's normal. When you start routing one of the nets, the ratlines of the other nets will temporarily disappear.
...the ratlines show up on both sides of the PCB for all components whether the components are on the top or the bottom of the board. Surely that can't be right???...
That is normal to help show you where the other connections are located when routing from the opposite side.
Last edited by Tomg on 09 Dec 2022, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

tracecom

#4 Post by tracecom » 30 Nov 2022, 13:34

@Tomg
Thanks for the confirmation. I came to understand that, but it stills looks a mess. I haven't actually started routing yet, so maybe it will go better than I expect.