Delete Via?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Brent

Delete Via?

#1 Post by Brent » 06 Apr 2023, 10:32

Sometimes there is an unnecessary via in a trace. Is there a feature to remove it, without losing the attached traces?

That should be the default when a via is deleted, in my opinion.
Select the via to delete ONLY the via. Especially when all connected traces are on the same side of the board.

eindecker2000

Re: Delete Via?

#2 Post by eindecker2000 » 14 Apr 2023, 00:45

I would agree with that statement!

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#3 Post by novarm44 » 14 Apr 2023, 13:35

If all traces are on the same layer (that means you use "static via", "trace via" does not exist in such case), you can select just via and delete it - traces will be connected without via.
If connected traces are located in different layers, deletion of "static via" will show the warning and replace it with similar "trace via".
"Trace Via" is a part of trace, which is placed automatically between trace segments, located in different layers, and can not be managed/removed separately from trace. "Static Via" is separate object and moving/editing of it and connected traces is similar to pad object. You can easily convert between them via right click sub-menu.

Please let me know what else can be done here?

Afteptips

#4 Post by Afteptips » 29 Oct 2023, 15:14

basket random
Brent wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 10:32 Sometimes there is an unnecessary via in a trace. Is there a feature to remove it, without losing the attached traces?

That should be the default when a via is deleted, in my opinion.
Select the via to delete ONLY the via. Especially when all connected traces are on the same side of the board.
One approach is to manually reroute the traces to avoid the via. You can create a new trace segment to bypass the via by dragging it to a different location on the same layer. Then, delete the via, and ensure that the traces are properly connected to the new routing.