Placing VIA on pad

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
T.Nakamura

Placing VIA on pad

#1 Post by T.Nakamura » 30 May 2023, 15:02

Hi there,
Let me ask a question regarding to place a via on pad.
Like a FPGA, due to the fine pad pitch, pad on via is used. So, I like to place vias on all GND pad.
It is easy to identify witch is GND pad in PCB editor, just mouse over a GND pad, like this,
GND_PAD.jpg
GND_PAD.jpg (506.21 KiB) Viewed 559 times
But once I enter to via placing mode, such kind of information is not available.
VIA_mode.jpg
VIA_mode.jpg (499.24 KiB) Viewed 559 times
So it is very hard to place vias to all GND pad.
Does somebody know better way to do that?

Also, is there any way to pre-define the NET to locate a via?
Now what I know is, locate vias then select them to connect a NET.
But since it is obvious to connect the vias to GND in this case, it would be nice if I can place a via which already has a NET information.
Thanks in advance!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Placing VIA on pad

#2 Post by Tomg » 31 May 2023, 03:00

So it is very hard to place vias to all GND pad. Does somebody know better way to do that?
The only method that comes to mind would be to drop the required number of vias outside the board edge, chain them all to the GND net using the "Place Ratline" tool and then move them into their respective positions on the BGA pattern.
Also, is there any way to pre-define the NET to locate a via?
Not in version 4.3.0.4. A feature request for adding some options to the "Place Static Via" tool which would make via stitching easier was submitted back in 2016, but so far nothing has come of it (see viewtopic.php?p=21438).
Tom

T.Nakamura

Re: Placing VIA on pad

#3 Post by T.Nakamura » 31 May 2023, 12:33

Hi Tomg,
Thank you for your comments.
Actually it is good idea that place via at somewhere then bind them to GND net. So that I can see which is GND pad during moving the via.
It can't see during grabbing the via, but just need to release it. It is much better than every time exit from via mode.
It helps me a lot!
Thanks again!!
move_via.jpg
move_via.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 550 times