Simple Layers Question

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
owkmann

Simple Layers Question

#1 Post by owkmann » 04 Jun 2023, 10:25

The attached PCB is a 4 layer board, intended to have a top signal layer and all other layers ground.

Unfortunately the PCB manufacturer interpreted the middle layers L2 and L3 as Inner layers of solid copper but with clearances for vias (for only the thru vias spread throughout the flooded ground planes, not the via walls). The via walls also should have been set to NET3, the ground net, as the other vias were. That was my mistake.

What am I missing? If the Thru vias and layers L2 and L3 were set as connected to NET3, why did the manufacturer see clearances around the vias?

Or to re-phrase my question, how do I connect thru vias to inner layer ground planes?

Appreciate any help,

Owkmann
Attachments
ADRF5025_EVB_003.dip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Simple Layers Question

#2 Post by Tomg » 05 Jun 2023, 01:17

1) As it is now, there are no inner layer copper planes/pours indicated in the Design Area. DipTrace does not automatically insert them on Plane layers, so It is left to the user to do this. (Don't forget to connect them to Net 3.) I'm guessing the board house did not know the planes they added were to be connected to anything, so they left them isolated.

2) If you update your copper pours you will find that all of those concentrated vias are not connected to anything. Use the "Place Ratline" tool to chain them to Net 3, then update the copper pours again.
Tom