DipTrace for Mac OS X

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

DipTrace for Mac OS X

#1 Post by novarm44 » 31 Aug 2010, 03:05

Hi All,

We have released DipTrace for Mac OS X (Leopard, Snow Leopard) today.
http://www.diptrace.com/downloads/DipTrace.dmg (128 Mb)
This is originally Windows application ported to Mac, so it requires right mouse button :)

Regards,
Stas

arigy

Re: DipTrace for Mac OS X

#2 Post by arigy » 02 Sep 2010, 00:20

Is it a native OSX version or Wine based? I see the size is more than double the size of native Windows version.

dongs

#3 Post by dongs » 05 Sep 2010, 05:39

Seriously?
100+ open bugs on bug tracker, some over a year old with no plans to resolve submitted by paying customers, and you're releasing a MacOS version for all 3 people that will be using it?

Sure gives me a great incentive to purchase any newer versions of this software! NOT.

Seriously how much of a demand could there be for MacOS pcb cad, surely not enough to warrant spending over half a year not releasing any bugfixes to current Windows version??

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#4 Post by novarm44 » 06 Sep 2010, 02:11

Is it a native OSX version or Wine based?
This is Wine-based version. It is optimized and tested on Snow Leopard. We can not make native version without using Wine as we use some third-party dlls and this requires much time to develop separate application on XCode.
Seriously?
100+ open bugs on bug tracker, some over a year old with no plans to resolve submitted by paying customers, and you're releasing a MacOS version for all 3 people that will be using it?
Currently public bug-tracking system has 14 not-replied bugs (all of them were posted after current version release), majority of them are not bugs but some minor interface/installer issues or feature requests. We fixed all critical bugs in 2.1.0.x and decided to make 2.1.0.7 last build of 2.1.0. We will review and reply all such items before release of the next version.
Mac OS X version was requested by many people, so we decided to add it. Also this was made separately based on 2.1.0.7 and major development line was not affected.

grieblm

#5 Post by grieblm » 19 Dec 2010, 00:38

I appreciate your efforts on the Mac OS X port. Don't listen to the nay-sayers.
Actually a native port would be appreciated once your user-base increases. The Mac OS could make this software really shine although, given the limitations of Windows, you've done a good job.

As of June 2010 there are around 94 million Mac OS owners and growing very quickly (number has tripled in two years). That seems like a sizeable market that shouldn't be ignored.

Keep up the good work!

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#6 Post by novarm44 » 23 Dec 2010, 22:43

Probably we will consider native port using Lazarus in the future when polish version for Windows enough to slow-down work on it for some time - I suppose it will require much work of all team. Wine Bottle port is easy as requires only few changes and was made by single person.

Cactusface

#7 Post by Cactusface » 22 Oct 2011, 08:07

Hi,
As a iMac user I too would welcome a fully native version, most people choose a mac for graphics and CAD work, at one time they were the only serious tool to do the job. But Diptrace is a bit slow and sometimes even a bit jerky via WINE! It's a shame that the most popular OS on the planet is also the worst, stuff and blouted with rubbish, unstable and unreliable, open to attacks and hacking, Must I go on, even Linux is better. :lol:
Regards
Mel.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#8 Post by novarm44 » 22 Oct 2011, 09:23

Embarcadero released Delphi XE2 not long ago and it can compile Delphi code for Mac, but we need to redesign all interface for FireMonkey and of course make some code modifications for iOS. That is very large job as FireMonkey have different from VCL principles, components, events, etc. however we will be able to keep all Delphi mathematics without any change (except working with interface).

The problem at the moment: it is the first CrossPlatform Delphi and it is very buggy, I decided to buy one copy of it to have access to upgrades - check all of them and rebuild interface step-by-step together with parallel development of primary project. Then when it become more stable - we will be able to migrate (of course long beta-period will be the must).

BTW I like Win XP and Win 7 (both are very stable if you know what you are doing). I tried Mac and even bought MacBook as home PC, but then replaced it with Win 7 laptop. The Mac hardware is really neat, but I don't like their OS at all (if I want some simple standard task - it is great, but if I need something a bit more complex - Windows is much more flexible and logical + much more available software). Only my 2 cents.

davorin

#9 Post by davorin » 07 Jan 2012, 22:07

Are there already any plans going OSX native?

I've installed DipTrace this week as an evaluation version both on OSX and under Parallels Fusion...
Under OSX the flickering when scrolling a PCB or selecting components is really no fun to work with...

octal

#10 Post by octal » 09 Jan 2012, 02:05

novarm44 wrote:if I want some simple standard task - it is great, but if I need something a bit more complex - Windows is much more flexible and logical
OS/X users will say the reverse :mrgreen:
I was in your case novarm44. I also was an intensive Windows user, but when I switched completely to MAC OS/X, I can say that it's more intuitive and really better and more logical than Windows (even W7).
First steps with OS/X are very hard because we have been exposed too much time to Winxx. Once you got to the point to master OS/X, you'll find yourself, at any time, saying "why Winxx didnt does this the OS/X way, it's more logical, more intuitive" ...
Each time you find yourself doing 3 or 4 clicks or mouse actions or keyb presses to do any task under OS/X, you must understand that you are trying to do it the Windows way, and it's wrong: try to do it "the mac way" ;)