Signal Port

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
jom

Signal Port

#1 Post by jom » 16 Feb 2012, 20:38

Hello

I want to build a symbol that has property that applies to the net it is connected to. Another words a simple way to change the underlying net name it's connected to. That way I can connect it to another part of the schematic on the other side of the drawing but not have to draw a long wire. Maybe there is a one in the libraries...if so I haven't been able to find it.

It would work like the +12V symbol does but you can apply it to ANY line. I'd use the +12V symbol but you can't really change the underlying net name and besides, that symbol doesn't look good for signal lines.

I tried looking at the example schematics and unbelievably NONE of them had such a symbol (I used these all of the time in PADS)...only buses.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

jom

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Signal Port

#2 Post by Alex » 17 Feb 2012, 03:07

Hi,

Connecting a net port to a wire doesn't rename net name. After you connect netport to a wire, right click on the wire and enter new name on the first item in submenu.

You can create new netports for signal lines in Component editor. Or use alternative way in DipTrace - connections without wires.

jom

#3 Post by jom » 19 Feb 2012, 08:15

Alex wrote:Connecting a net port to a wire doesn't rename net name. After you connect netport to a wire, right click on the wire and enter new name on the first item in submenu.
OK, after using the software a bit more I have a more specific question based on your response above.

If I put down a "netport" using one from the "Disc_Sch" library (say the +5V or whatever). I attach that to a signal line then right click on the wire and enter a name in the submenu. I notice that the name of the "netport" does NOT change to the name I just gave the wire. My question is can I build a symbol that CAN have the visible name change by right-clicking the wire OR by editing the properties of this symbol change the wire name (two ways to change name)? This is VERY common in other software such as PADS etc.

Right now if I edit the wire name I can't see the wire name anywhere. It's hidden so to speak. Why not have a signal port that DOES show it?

Thanks and I hope this clarifies my question a bit better. :P

jom

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 20 Feb 2012, 02:32

Net name and net port type may be different. It was done because netports with multiple pins are supported in Diptrace and each pin of that netport may be connected to different net.
If you want to show net name, right click on a wire and select "Display name" from submenu.

EEnh

#5 Post by EEnh » 22 Mar 2012, 15:45

Alex,

I'm from Pads and Cadence background and am interested in a related item.

It would be very nice if there were simple "off page" symbols. These are simple left pointing, right pointing or not pointing at all (small vertical tick mark) to end a wire. The net name is always visible and editing is simple double-click (or the DipTrace right click convention) and they should support rotation.

They are special but users should still be able to create their own as well.

I haven't used the "connections without wires" yet within DipTrace but hope they are global across a design. Cadence / Orcad has "net aliases" that do this but only work on the sheet they are on. If used across sheets, they can create BIG problems.

Den

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 23 Mar 2012, 03:03

Off-page connectors are not necessary in DipTrace because nets are not restricted within a sheet. You can use netport in DipTrace and these netports may look like off-page connectors in Pads or Orcad.

harrybro

#7 Post by harrybro » 26 Apr 2012, 20:35

It would be very nice if there were simple "off page" symbols. These are simple left pointing, right pointing or not pointing at all (small vertical tick mark) to end a wire. The net name is always visible and editing is simple double-click (or the DipTrace right click convention) and they should support rotation.
Harry Bro

pcb1001

#8 Post by pcb1001 » 05 Jun 2012, 21:37

Diptrace consider netnames to be global at all, so all connections with the same netname are connected across the schematic sheets. This kind of feature is one advantage for the diptrace is offering with respect to other professional EDA tools.

---------
pcb1001

jtaylor

#9 Post by jtaylor » 15 Jun 2012, 12:09

I agree with having on-sheet and off-sheet connectors that are easy to use. I know DipTrace can do it 3 different ways, but the problem is one of documentation. In all the companies I've ever worked at, signals flowing into the page are on the left and out of the page are on the right. They aren't "hidden" by connecting without wires and they aren't covered up by having a net port that doesn't share the same name.

It's all about making the schematic easy to read by someone who didn't create it. When you get upwards of 5 to 10 schematic sheets, it needs to be both simple to review and simple to understand so mistakes can be caught easily.

I have wasted my afternoon attempting to create such a in-sheet and out-sheet connector set and am very frustrated with the "tool" at this point.
pcb1001 wrote:Diptrace consider netnames to be global at all, so all connections with the same netname are connected across the schematic sheets. This kind of feature is one advantage for the diptrace is offering with respect to other professional EDA tools.

---------
pcb1001