Relative library/related file paths

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
john coloccia

Relative library/related file paths

#1 Post by john coloccia » 26 Mar 2015, 15:34

I have a lot of projects with a lot of different versions, and they're all based on different versions of my library as it evolves. I'm able to version all of my files, and save snapshots with my version control system, but when I go to use Diptrace, I need to remember to completely change my library and related schematic setup or nothing works properly. I even need to do this when I work between different computers that happen to have the files stored on a different path.

It would be great if I could set a specific library or related schematic file to be a relative path from whatever file I'm working on. Then as long as my project directory structure doesn't change, I can relocate my projects wherever I want and everything still works.

dtu2
Expert

Re: Relative library/related file paths

#2 Post by dtu2 » 29 Mar 2015, 23:56

Jeff

jyl

#3 Post by jyl » 03 Jan 2018, 04:52

+1!!!
Having sometimes to change computer, directory structure or whatever, it is absolutely necessary that we can update from library even if the root disk is no more what it was when the project was created.
Relative paths would be great for that!
But at least a way to automatically change root for every components would be a first step...
I know, this can be done by exporting the project in ASCII and re-importing it in a blank project.
But this appears to me a little risky: not sure that everything comes back in place as for example the title blocks that are disappearing ...
Thanks for taking this request into account for the next release, especially giving the fact that this recurring request seems to be dated back in 2012...
JYL

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 03 Jan 2018, 15:25

Relative or absolute, binary or ASCII, Project export/import or Project management, Source version control or git support. All related and needed.
Getting to the point of managing a version controlled project with DipTrace and being able to share from the cloud currently is a manual process that takes time. Please look at a new menu item like: Project that will allow all the above functions.
Each project should have it's own config file.

cworkman74

#5 Post by cworkman74 » 31 Jan 2018, 23:27

+1 for relative library paths... this is one thing that is keeping me from upgrading to a higher edition for now (and considering other PCB packages.)

KevinA

#6 Post by KevinA » 01 Feb 2018, 17:05

cworkman74 wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 23:27
+1 for relative library paths... this is one thing that is keeping me from upgrading to a higher edition for now (and considering other PCB packages.)
While it would be nice having built in source control those of us that have been 'at it' awhile figure it out. A simple directory structure off the C: root with folders for ASCII and Binary files for different projects works fine and takes seconds to setup. The new GUI git tool makes managing everything a breeze. :shock:

cworkman74

#7 Post by cworkman74 » 01 Feb 2018, 19:51

KevinA wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:05
cworkman74 wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 23:27
While it would be nice having built in source control those of us that have been 'at it' awhile figure it out. A simple directory structure off the C: root with folders for ASCII and Binary files for different projects works fine and takes seconds to setup. The new GUI git tool makes managing everything a breeze. :shock:
Understood. That's fine if you're working off the C drive all the time. In my case, I want to work from a shared library drive on two computers. The shared drive is mapped differently on each computer (due to other constraints - can't be changed). Four different PCB packages I've used in recent years handles this OK. Diptrace does not. I suppose I could possibly get around this by using "subst" or "net use". I may give that a try.

GlennN

#8 Post by GlennN » 01 May 2019, 15:29

I put my libraries, datasheets, and 3D views in a particular directory structure under a project directory. Under the project directory I have sub-directories like DipTraceLib for libraries, DipTrace3D for 3D, and Datasheets for datasheets. I then make a network drive (lets say T:\) that points to the base of the project directory. Then all my components, patterns, and other files are referenced to T:\DipTraceLib , T:\DipTrace3D, T:\datasheets. You can move the project and library files to any computer, and as long as you set the T:\ drive (on your particular computer) to point to the base project directory, all the data will be available because it is addressed relative to T:\. Using the network drive is a way to make Diptrace use a relative location for your files without it ever knowing the difference. :D