Import of STEP file for 3D model blinks "Importing...", but no effect

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
bigjosh

Import of STEP file for 3D model blinks "Importing...", but no effect

#1 Post by bigjosh » 04 Feb 2018, 01:14

The files attached. They were downloaded from the Panasonic website. They import Fusion and AutoDesk 3D Viewer without issue.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Import of STEP file for 3D model blinks "Importing...", but no effect

#2 Post by Tomg » 04 Feb 2018, 09:44

I get the same results. This definitely needs to be looked at by Novarm. As a temporary work-around, I found that opening the STEP file with my 3D CAD program (Alibre Design) and then re-exporting it as a new STEP file will solve the problem.
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 05 Feb 2018, 04:20

Please open STEP files in any text editor. The fourth line has FILE_NAME and there are some hieroglyphs there. STEP import stuck on this line. Please remove hieroglyphs and save the file. STEP import should work fine now.
We will fix STEP import to ignore such occurrences in the future.

jgerhardy

#4 Post by jgerhardy » 04 Dec 2019, 03:40

Hallo,

I'm have the same problem with a step file from Panasonic (s. attachment).
I removed the "hieroglyphs" (it's chinese, isn't it?), but the step does not
show anyhting in pattern editor V3.3.1.1. File works in autodesk online viewer.

Does the file work for anyone else?

Greetings,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 04 Dec 2019, 08:44

I see the same problem in version 3.3.1.3. In addition to the "FILE_NAME" line, there are "hieroglyphs" on the following lines...

Deleting the questionable group of characters "•W€•iƒ³8" seems to have fixed the problem for me. In some of the above-mentioned lines, only parts of the group can be found. Just in case you are unable to solve the problem through editing, here's a DipTrace-friendly Panasonic STEP file that was processed through Alibre Design...
EEEFK1V221P.zip
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 05 Dec 2019, 08:17

Hallo,

I'm have the same problem with a step file from Panasonic (s. attachment).
I removed the "hieroglyphs" (it's chinese, isn't it?), but the step does not
show anyhting in pattern editor V3.3.1.1. File works in autodesk online viewer.

Does the file work for anyone else?

Greetings,
John
Thank you for the report.
Provided STEP file is not fully compatible to standard. The standard requires ANSI symbols only in STEP files. Unicode symbols are not supported. We developed STEP support according to the standard and supporting undeclared features (other's bugs) would required a lot of work for us.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 05 Dec 2019, 09:59

Alex,
Would it be possible to add a subroutine in the beginning of your STEP file translator that would automatically strip all non-ANSI characters from the file before processing? I did that with the posted file just now ( in this instance, •€ƒ³ ) and it was accepted by DipTrace 3.3.1.3.

UPDATE: After more experimenting I found that eliminating all instances of just the "" character allowed DipTrace to accept the STEP file.
Tom