Question about links between components and patterns

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
fcwilt

Question about links between components and patterns

#1 Post by fcwilt » 26 Apr 2019, 20:58

Hi,

Just to practice I did the following:

I created a component library of my own and inserted some components from one of the standard libraries. That went fine.

I created a pattern library of my own and inserted the patterns the matched the components that I had inserted into my component library. That went fine.

I make some cosmetic changes to the patterns in my pattern library.

But to get the pattern changes to appear when using my components I had to specify for each of my components the new pattern. That went fine as well.

My question is this: Is there any way to link components with patterns other than one-by-one? If I had only made changes to, say, the silk screen markings of hundreds of patterns it would be quite tedious to link them to the components one at a time.

I was thinking that there might be a way to say "match my components to my new patterns using the name of the pattern which had not changed from the old name".

I hope I have made sense.

Thanks, Frederick

Tomg
Expert

Re: Question about links between components and patterns

#2 Post by Tomg » 27 Apr 2019, 10:06

Currently (as of version 3.3.1.3), there is no way to do any kind of mass update to a component library. Related feature requests have been posted for years, but so far nothing has come of them. Here's a link to one of those requests - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10495&p=18169. Adding your voice to a growing chorus might help encourage the developers at Novarm to include this feature in a future version of DipTrace.
Tom

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 27 Apr 2019, 11:12

The 'Pattern to Component" methodology as it stands just sucks, it has caused me endless frustration since there is no means to update all objects in a project from one point; In PCB find a new 3D image for a part, add it to the part to check fit, everything looks good. Next time I update from schematic the 3D image is back to the image that is associated with the pattern, update the 3D image in the pattern does not fix it, have to delete then reattach the pattern with the new 3D image to the component. And here I thought computers were here to reduce the work load.

fcwilt

#4 Post by fcwilt » 27 Apr 2019, 16:03

Hmm...

It seems like a mass update feature would be a rather obvious thing to have provided for.

Here I just assumed as a beginner I overlooked something.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frederick