making vias in ground pad of IC

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
dhgrundysr

making vias in ground pad of IC

#1 Post by dhgrundysr » 31 Aug 2019, 20:02

How do you make vias in the ground pad of an IC without making them into pads. Normally this isn't a problem form me but i'm doing one that has 41 vias! Its hard to fit that many on the corresponding schematic symbol.

thanks,
Dave Grundy

Tomg
Expert

Re: making vias in ground pad of IC

#2 Post by Tomg » 01 Sep 2019, 08:37

"...How do you make vias in the ground pad of an IC without making them into pads..."
I'm assuming you are referring to the application of thermal vias to a pattern, for which DipTrace has no dedicated solution. Here are a couple of thermal via work-arounds that were discussed a while back - https://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=10445

"...Normally this isn't a problem form me but i'm doing one that has 41 vias! Its hard to fit that many on the corresponding schematic symbol..."
I wasn't aware that a schematic representation for thermal vias was necessary. I always thought thermal vias only needed to be created in the Pattern Editor (have to use pads here) or the PCB Editor (you can use vias here). When creating the pattern in the Pattern Editor make sure to connect all of those so-called "vias" (pads in this case) to the ground pad. When adding vias in the PCB Editor, assign all of them to the same net as the ground pad.
Tom

dhgrundysr

#3 Post by dhgrundysr » 02 Sep 2019, 20:54

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply

so i guess i can just not enter these additional pads in the schematic symbol, and ignore the warning message.

thanks,
Dave

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 03 Sep 2019, 07:29

What kind of warning message are you seeing?
Tom