Prevent Pattern's mounting holes from being plated

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
FalconFour

Prevent Pattern's mounting holes from being plated

#1 Post by FalconFour » 21 Nov 2019, 18:18

If I put a Mounting Hole (with the Mounting Hole tool) in a Pattern, like so... (oh, right, it's 2003 and this forum doesn't support posting inline images :) )

Erm, okay, so we're going to be writing blind, then. Just trust me on this one.

If I place a Mounting Hole in a pattern, it comes out plated. That is, in the exported Gerber, it places copper directly underneath the hole (and only within the drilled area of the hole, not filling the mounting hole's specified diameter, but only the drilled area), when it should absolutely not be doing so.

This is really problematic and frustrating as with every board I've fabbed out of DipTrace, the fab either flags an issue of "you didn't mean those to be plated, did you?" or they come back awkwardly plated.

Can we not do that? There are no options and this only affects Mounting Holes in Patterns, not Mounting Holes in PCB layout. It seems like any hole in a Pattern ends up being a Pad (with tightly constrained dimensions so the copper almost, but not completely, disappears) instead, and that's a big, big problem.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Prevent Pattern's mounting holes from being plated

#2 Post by Alex » 22 Nov 2019, 10:19

I think you exported all holes (plated and non-plated) to single N/C drill file. Therefore all holes were made plated. I suggest to export non-plated and plated holes to different N/C drill files and name these files accordingly. Then you will get non-plated mounting holes and plated pads and vias.

FalconFour

Re: Prevent Pattern's mounting holes from being plated

#3 Post by FalconFour » 22 Nov 2019, 13:20

Odd, I was working on constructing a test/demo case here, and I found it wasn't actually the copper layer that was being messed-with.

Of course that's not a solution because I don't know how fabs could accept two files. They only accept one drill file, and they classify "plated" as if there's copper underneath a drill hit. If no copper, not plated. If copper, plated. Makes sense to me ;)

So, it wasn't the copper layer, then what're they complaining about? What did the support guy, that flagged the issue on my board, see in his screenshot?

It was the "Mask" layer.

They were reading the mask layer as copper (for human validation, not fab), it seems. They handled it quickly and easily, but I was just trying to go back to the design to prevent the issue in the future, when I made this post :/

So for now there's really no issue =) at least now it's Googleable, though!